Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Weeping Women of Picasso








A subject that I have artistically pursued myself, I was intrigued to find out that Pablo Picasso has also done a series of Weeping Women.  They are said to be a continuation of his ideas from his amazing Guernica, but these paintings are less about the Spanish civil war and more about the universal idea of suffering.
It is said they are modelled after Picasso's long time mistress French photographer, Dora Maar.  He was in a relationship with for about nine years.
"For me she's the weeping woman. For years I've painted her in tortured forms, not through sadism, and not with pleasure, either; just obeying a vision that forced itself on me. It was the deep reality, not the superficial one."
"Dora, for me, was always a weeping woman....And it's important, because women are suffering machines." Picasso